23 April 2010

Why I don't talk endlessly about my work - but just on communication without the s

I quite enjoy a lot of the perspectives I get on Twitter, Facebook, the news and blogs I read covering PR, internal communication, corporate communication, social media yada yada yada. BUT it's the industry I work in and I like to think about other things, many related, tangentially, and directly and others because they're funny.

I could try and write here everything I've learnt and experienced about communication but it would bore me, and if I'm bored it doesn't seem fair to bore you as well.

 Today though; trapped in my own pedantic enclosure: PR it's communication not communications.  Communications are phones, messages and computers and perhaps tactics of communication. Communication is strategic and about the art of communicating.  I have no sympathy for a PR marketing business who call themselves communications and get rung about computers or telephones. It might be they are only a communications company who wordsmith communiques and create design but really mostly people think they're in communication from a strategic perspective (whether they are or not).

Anyway if nothing else it is important to understand the language you're using because in thinking about it you can achieve greater clarity and generate work with more value.

Communications

Communication

and stolen from Nasa

askmagazine.nasa.gov/.../25s_communicating.html

 

 

Posted via web from SamNZed's posterous

No comments: