05 October 2009

Not buying it

I was at uni in the days of the student left and when we needed to be politically sound - which came before being politically correct.  We 'had' to boycott all South African products and the shops they were sold in, anything from Chile, anything deemed sexist or racist by 'us', products which were made in Asia and by a range of companies.  It was tough and a high standard was expected of those of us who described ourselves as progressive. One guy I knew unknowingly went to a bar that had once had women jelly wrestlers and was hauled over the coals and ostracised.  The personal was political and everything you said and did was subject to scrutiny.

Aside from some Animal Rights and vegetarian groups I haven't heard much of this sort of blacklisting and boycotts in recent years. 

Undeterred I have maintained by own one-person list of protests and boycotts. Some are noble and just, some of them are just a little twisted and others are inconsistent and silly.

The Mobil Petrol station on the site of the Sure to Rise Bakery - The former Edmonds site was bought and the iconic building demolished for a large forecourt and a Mobil petrol station. I used to live 2 minutes away and I never bought petrol there.  AND it failed and closed.  I liked to think the site was cursed but the Couplands Bakery and Raewards Fruit and Vege shops there now are doing well I see.

Cadbury Chocolate - it's not about palm kernels but more that we have locally owned chocolate companises and Whittakers seems worth supporting. Also the shrinking of the bars, adding cardboard and charging the same price is just far too cynical.  Not that I buy big bars of chocolate...

The Absolutely Fabulous Bookshop in the Mall between Hereford and High Streets - the bookshop with the least understanding of customer service and the lowest level of imagination I've ever seen, from the ripped-off name, misspelt signs, the questionable use of copyrighted images to the mean lowspirited of the owner who would refused to talk to you unless you bought something.  I went there a few times and was a little grumpy about the way she treated me and other customers, the final visit was when I was going to buy a few things but first asked first about a product, she ignored me and walked away. That business too closed.

Eggs which aren't free range - a no brainer really, yes they cost more, but really.

Foreign-owned options - see chocolate but if there's an NZ-owned option I'll usually take that unless quality is way too low or price really far too high, it's about jobs.This goes for tinned goods, packaged goods, power companies, TV, appliances (buy Goldair) and retail chains.This is why I almost always shop at New World or PakNSave - I don't like the idea of NZ workers being exploited by Aussie companies when we can do that ourselves.  One exception; Telstra over Telecom an historical anomoly and I sometimes swap between news to catch John Campbell or Nightline.

Union Carbide products - they used to own Eveready and Glad and I began boycotting them due to the Bhopal disaster in India which 25 years later remains the worst industrial accident ever (20,000 dead!).

Westpac Bank - it was Westpac that began charging for EFtPos transactions for customers from other banks, leading to them all doing the same. Thanks Westpac for a great contribution to banking.

Non-South Island cheese - misguided but makes choosing easier.

Nes- anything (including Maggi, Wonka, Friskies and Kraft) - There's something about Nestle. Maybe it's they made us change how they say their name or turning Qick into NesQuik, or maybe it's their questionable labour practises, supposed connections to Mugabe and accusations around infant milk in Africa and South America.

Snickers Bars - some years ago they had a TV ad about someone fasting to raise awareness on poverty but then confronted with a Snickers the activist gave up the protest.  To me this was insulting on so many levels and also has a corporate 'Nyah nyah na na nah!' to anyone who believes in anything.  I don't eat many chocolate bars so this boycott isn't too hard.

Futile I know but we've been led to believe that even if one of us takes a stand it does make a difference. Actually I really don't buy that, but it's good to feel I'm not buying something for ethical or moral reasons.

Posted via web from SamNZed's posterous

No comments: