30 November 2009

Ageing stupidly

It would be nice if I was a totally rationale machine that behaved like neoclassical economists think we should.  I'm not.

Here are the things that I noted at the time and was consciously aware they meant that I was getting older.  While there have been many other markers these are the ones where I thought- 'I'm getting older'.

- wearing short trousers with the pocket at the back, not at the front; 3? under 5 anyway

- getting a watch; 10 years

- sex; 18 years old

- getting into debt; 18 years old

- finally understanding what a draught was (up until then I never understood why adults complained about doors left open in warm rooms); somewhere near 20

- buying emery boards (yep weird); about 30

- my first grey hair; 35

- arranging my father's funeral and having to explain to my aunt that she wasn't making the decisions; 41

- the sudden realisation that I actually know a hell of a lot less than I thought I did about a huge range of things  (people, life, talent, right, money etc...); January 09

 

Posted via web from SamNZed's posterous

No comments: